Let the Giving Fields Season Begin!
The first day of Spring is this week and we are excited to start preparing for the kickoff of the 2014 Giving Fields season. Take our word for it; you’re never too old to play in the dirt! Giving Fields volunteer projects will include planting, harvesting, mowing, weeding and other maintenance work. Volunteer opportunities begin in April. To schedule a shift, please contact Amy Knoche at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-482-4520.
Sponsors Needed for the 2014 Hogs vs. Hunger
Our Fourth Annual Hogs vs. Hunger event will take place on Saturday, July 19. The venue and other details are still being finalized. We are currently looking for event sponsors. For details on sponsorship levels, please contact Bernice Cooper at email@example.com or 513-357-4817.
We will also raffle off a 2014 Harley Davidson at the end of the event and will need volunteers to assist with selling raffle tickets at “Biker Nights” at select Quaker Steak and Lube locations. For more information or to register to volunteer, please contact Tawanda Rollins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-482-7557.
Congratulations to Ozella Lancaster on Her Retirement
Freestore Foodbank Ozella Lancaster’s last day with us will be on Monday, March 31. She will begin a new chapter in her life called retirement! Ozella has worked in the Freestore Foodbank Human Resources Department for 12 years. She served as the Resource Manager for Professional Volunteers for a brief six months. Ozella worked closely with interns and Kroger Reclamation Assistants at our Mayerson Distribution Center. We are in the process of finding Ozella’s replacement. If you’ve worked with Ozella in the past, please send her well wishes at email@example.com!
Check-Out Power Pack: March 15 – April 27
We are now recruiting volunteers to assist with our Check-Out Power Pack campaign. The campaign launched last week and runs through Sunday, April 27. Volunteers are needed to maintain the placards throughout the campaign at neighborhood Kroger stores. Volunteers will also take down the placards on Monday, April 28. Stores available for “adoption” include: Amelia, Cleves, Dent, Harrison, Lawrenceburg, Monfort Heights, Montgomery, Mt. Airy, Mt. Carmel, Mt. Orab, and North College Hill For more information or to register to volunteer, please contact Tawanda Rollins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-482-7557.
Volunteer Training Facilitators
The Freestore Foodbank is seeking volunteers with specific skills to help provide training in the following areas:
- Computer courses (Ex. Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access)
- Communication and Customer Service
- Time Management/Organizational Skills
- Specialty training for staff and volunteers (Ex. Health & Wellness, Coaching Effectiveness, Team Building, Supervisory Skills, etc)
- Safety Training
- Project Management
Facilitators are able to create a curriculum that are aligned with our LEAN Management culture at the Freestore Foodbank, and provide classes at our facility based on their availability. If you are interested in providing training for our organization, please contact Melanie Burden at email@example.com or call (513)482-7527.
Other Upcoming Events/Volunteer Opportunities:
- Appalachian Festival Food Drive, Friday, May 9 – Sunday, May 11 (Coney Island) We are seeking 40 volunteers to collect monetary and food donations at the Appalachian Festival taking place Friday, May 9 – Sunday, May 11 at Coney Island. Donations will benefit the Freestore Foodbank. Various shift times are available. For more information or to register, please contact Tawanda Rollins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-482-7557.
- 11th Annual Hunger Walk, Memorial Day, Monday, May 26 (Sawyer Point) We are in need of volunteers to assist with event setup, registration, t-shirt sales, course directors, water station attendants and a host of other tasks the day of the event. For more information or to register to volunteer, please contact Tawanda Rollins at email@example.com or 513-482-7557.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Donations of canned goods are needed year-round. If you would like to organize a canned food drive, please email Lauren Flowers or call 513-482-4516.
- Celebrate your birthday or other special occasion, honor a loved one, or inspire your team by hosting a Virtual Food Drive! Please email for more information.
- Do you need a speaker for your event? Members of the FSFB Speakers’ Bureau are available for team meetings, staff retreats, conferences, etc. For more information, please email Jill Cooper or call 513-482-4511.
Are you interested in becoming a member of the Freestore Foodbank team? Please click here for our current employment opportunities.
A New Initiative: FeedingWorks-Transformational Teambuilding
The Freestore Foodbank has launched a new social enterprise. FeedingWorks is geared towards work groups that need to strengthen their teams.
Highlights of the program:
- 3-4 hour high energy session
- Teams work together to make an immediate difference on hunger in Greater Cincinnati
- The session will help to provide insight on how the team is working together more effectively; including strengths and blind spots
- Improve communication, encouragement and conflict management skills
- Customized to meet your team’s specific needs
- Combines leadership and team development
- Furthers the mission of Freestore Foodbank by feeding hungry children in the community
For more information about how your company can benefit from FeedingWorks, please visit www.feedingworks.com .
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
- Distribution Center Volunteer Team Leader
- Receptionist/Greeter- All Locations
- Reclamation Assistant
- Training Facilitator
We Want to Hear From You
We are conducting a short, 10-question survey for individuals who have volunteered with us before. Our goal is to enhance your volunteer experience and we need your help in reaching this goal! Completing the survey will give us an idea on how we’re doing and what areas are in need of improvement. Please click here to complete the survey. Thank you in advance for assisting us in this effort!
Thank You to our Recent Volunteers:
Church of the Redeemer
Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce- CFO Roundtable #2
Ft. Washington Investment Advisors
Grant Thornton Accounting
Lambda Chi Alpha
St. Bernadette School
St. Margaret’s Knights of Columbus
The Children’s Home of Cincinnati
University of Cincinnati
Western and Southern Financial
Franciscans for the Poor
Mother of Mercy High School