Happy New Year from all of us at the Freestore Foodbank!
Thank you for your continued support of your time and energy volunteering with us and we’re looking forward to a wonderful year in 2014.
Wrap-Up: Christmas Holiday Ops
The Freestore Foodbank provided food for a holiday meal to help 17,864 individuals/8,513 households. The generosity of donors and more than 600 volunteers helped to make this possible. From all of us at the Freestore Foodbank …THANK YOU for your tremendous support in helping us spread the gift of hope this holiday season!
More than 100 families had presents for the December holiday through the Adopt-A-Family program. Thank you to the donors and volunteers who helped to make this possible. The Adopt-A-Family program is an opportunity for families in our Direct Rent, Shelter Diversion, and Payee programs to receive Christmas gifts for their children. Adults taking part in these programs are experiencing extreme hardships in providing for their family. Without Adopt-A-Family, they would not be able to purchase gifts for their children.
Other Upcoming Events/Volunteer Opportunities:
- Annual Meeting, January 27 and January 28 – Volunteers are needed to assist with setup on Monday, January 27 for our Distinguished Speaker’s Series and Annual Meeting. We are also in need of volunteers to help on the day of the event – Tuesday, January 28. Opportunities include coat check parking directors, and event breakdown. For shift times and for more information on how to register, please contact Tawanda Rollins at email@example.com 513-482-7557.
- Student Nights, January-Mid April – this event is for high school and college students who are ages 16 and older and are in need of service hours. The volunteer activity will take place two Thursday evenings (5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.) each month at our Mayerson Distribution Center located at 1250 Tennessee Ave; 45229. For more information please contact Amy Knoche at firstname.lastname@example.org 513-482-4520.
- Cinciditarod, Saturday, March 1 – a wacky shopping cart competition that begins and ends on Fountain Square. Coined after the real Alaskan Iditarod, which involves grueling 1,100 mile dog sled race, the Cincinnati version is a little less intensive and a lot more creative. While physically attached to decorated shopping carts, teams must make their way through an approximately five mile course that spans across surrounding areas of downtown. Participants must collect items provided on their grocery list, all the while performing various challenges at five pre-selected checkpoints! This event is sponsored by 3CDC and all collected items are given to the Freestore Foodbank. For more information about this event and how to participate, please contact Christy Samad at email@example.com. (Volunteer opportunities for this event are organized by 3CDC).
- Giving Fields Volunteer Opportunity, Opening projected at the end of March or early April – Be on the lookout in upcoming Volunteer Connection issues for information on the upcoming Giving Fields season. The community farm located in Melbourne, Kentucky provides fresh fruits and vegetable for our neighbors in need. This is a great volunteer opportunity during the summer months and for little ones.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Donations of canned goods are needed all year around, not just at the holidays! If you would like to organize a canned food drive, please contact Lauren Flowers at 513-482-4516.
- Celebrate your birthday or other special occasion, honor a loved one, or inspire your team by hosting a Virtual Food Drive! Please email for more information.
- Do you need a speaker for your event? Members of FSFB Speakers’ Bureau are available for team meetings, staff retreats, conferences, etc. For more information contact Jill Cooper at 513-482-4511 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Open On-Going Volunteer Opportunities
- Distribution Center Volunteer Team Leader
- Receptionist/Greeter- All Locations
- Reclamation Assistant
- Training Facilitator
Our Check-Out Hunger campaign with Kroger began on November 1 and wrapped up yesterday. Thank you to our volunteers for their diligence in maintaining their adopted stores. All proceeds directly benefit the Freestore Foodbank and will help provide additional support as we work to serve our neighbors in need. We will keep you posted with the donation totals when they become available. Stay tuned this summer for volunteer opportunities with Check-Out Duck.
We Would Like to Hear From You:
We are conducting a short, 10-question survey for individuals who have volunteered with us before. Our goal is to enhance your volunteer experience and we need your help in reaching this goal! Completing the survey will give us an idea on how we’re doing and what areas are in need of improvement. Please click here to complete the survey. Thank you in advance for assisting us in this effort!
For Group Opportunities and Giving Fields Opportunities
For Special Event Opportunities
For Individual Opportunities
Freestore Foodbank, Volunteer Services, 112 E. Liberty Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Thank you to the following teams who volunteered with us through the Mayerson Distribution Center, our Food Room, Giving Fields, and/or special events since our last newsletter:
Customer Connection Center
Greater Cincinnati World Affairs Council
Sycamore High School
Fifth Third Bank
Western and Southern